Monday, October 3, 2011

My Brother's Spaghetti

I feel a little silly doing a post about spaghetti since it's something everyone already has a recipe for, but I think my spaghetti is particularly heavenly so I will share.  This is actually my brother's spaghetti recipe and I'm not sure where he got it from.  However, once I had his spaghetti and got his recipe, I've never looked back.  It's traditional, easy, and delicious.  What more can you ask for?

Ingredients:
-Olive oil
-1 large onion diced
-1 package of sliced white mushrooms
-A few cloves of chopped garlic
-Crushed red pepper flakes
-1 large can of diced tomatoes, drained
-1 large can of tomato sauce
-1 small can of tomato paste
-1 tablespoon of each: oregano, basil, thyme
-1 lb ground beef
-Fresh basil
-Pasta (duh)

In a large pot, saute the chopped onion in olive oil until they begin to sweat.  Season with salt and pepper as you do this.  Add in the mushrooms and saute until they begin to brown.  You may need more olive oil.  I usually add a bit more salt and pepper, seasoning each layer as I go.  Add in the garlic and as much crushed red pepper as you like-- I add a lot.  Saute for a minute or two, careful to not brown the garlic.  Next add in the diced tomatoes for a few minutes, then comes the can of sauce.  I like my sauce thick and meaty, so I add the whole small can of paste, but you might like to use a little less.  Once it starts to bubble, add one tablespoon of dried oregano, dried basil, and dried thyme.  Taste for seasoning and adjust as you see fit.  Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or so.

Once your sauce is simmering, brown your ground beef and get your (salted) spaghetti water boiling.  Add the drained ground beef to the sauce to simmer while you cook your pasta.  My brother and I prefer linguine pasta, but I used angel hair when I made it last night.  To finish it off, I toss in a bunch of chiffonade basil and serve atop the pasta with a little Parmesan and more crushed red pepper flakes.  I like it spicy! Of course a salad and garlic bread are also necessary.  Yum!


1 comment:

  1. I have eaten your brother's spaghetti before, made by you. I can taste it right now! Delicious

    ReplyDelete