Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

Fall finally arrived in Atlanta and brought with it a little cold for yours truly.  When I feel the sore throat and sniffles coming, all I can think about is soup.  So I ran to the store after work, checked the items off my list, and made myself a gigantic pot of homemade chicken noodle soup (and cornbread, because I'm country and that's what we do and because the boy is a big fan).  It hit the spot for days.  When you're sick, there's nothing like it with a glass of OJ.

I use Emeril's recipe found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/simple-chicken-noodle-soup-recipe2/index.html A few things I do different:
-I use old-fashioned egg noodles instead of vermicelli
-I use a whole carton of sliced mushrooms
-I use way more than 1/2 cup of diced onions, carrots, and celery


Why?  I don't really know.  I have a whole onion, why not use it all? Then you bought whole bags of carrots and celery... why not use more of those too?  And before you know it, you have something that no longer resembles soup because you have too much "stuff" and not enough liquid.  So I always try to make more stock than it calls for and have an extra store-bought container on hand, just in case.  As a result, I still have soup in my fridge after having served and eaten approximately 25 bowls. :)  So, I'm sure if you followed Emeril's directions, you'd be just fine!  It's delicious even when you aren't sick.

2 comments:

  1. I could use some of that today, with this rainy cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely perfect soup weather! I still need to make the tomato soup from your blog because I'm a sucker for opening up a can of Campbell's! :)

    ReplyDelete