Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dragon's Breath Chili

Despite my foot stompin' about it, another summer has passed. The chill in the morning air, the fewer hours of sunlight, and the constant football on TV have all made me crave one thing-- CHILI. I think in the past week I've asked "Where's the chili?!" at least 5 times.  Yesterday was the day.  I had to have chili or I would die.  I ignored the fact that my chili is something best made on a weekend when you have lots of time to let it simmer and headed to the store anyway.  Chili would be mine and all would be right in the world.

I'm really not a chili snob.  My sorority did an annual Chili Cook-Off for its fundraiser and I ate all the chili.  Wendy's chili?  Yes, please.  Spicy Hormel chili on a hot dog?  You betcha.  My mom's way of just mixing up some tomatoes, meat, beans, and spices?  Get me a bowl.  We had a cooking contest at work and I made Emeril's chili recipe found here and won. A non-winner said to me, "You know, real chili doesn't have beans." This chili eater says, "My beany chili beat your chili. How ya like them apples?"

Then one day last winter, I found it.  I wanted chili, but I wanted it to be "special."  I searched high and I searched low and I found... Guy Fieri.  :(  I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of his.  His whole look just kinda irks me.  I'm more Bobby Flay/ Tyler Florence.  Give me a trained chef over a talented home cook on my TV, please.  But then I got to thinkin'... I bet he's a dude who knows a lot about chili.  It's called "Dragon's Breath" and I want it spicy.  It sounds special-- not just ordinary tomatoes and chili powder. I'll give it a shot.  The chili gods sang to me. This chili is *my* chili.

Here's the recipe.  Guy Fieri's Dragon's Breath Chili. Yes, use bacon fat if you have time.  Eat the leftover bacon while you wait for the hours of simmering or bake some potatoes to go with your chili and make them "loaded."  Yes, roast those peppers first.  Don't be silly.  Sometimes I can't find the Anaheim or Poblano and I just substitute with whichever peppers look similar at the store.  Everything else I do the same.  I have never made/ served it with those fries he talks about though.  Last night we had baked potatoes, but I've done twice-baked potatoes (with that extra bacon) before and I've just made cornbread.  PBR was the beer of choice last night, but I just always steal one from whatever the bro or boy has in the fridge.  Don't leave the beer out.  I think that's one of the key ingredients.  I dip it into a bowl and top with a little cheddar, some green onions, and a dollop of sour cream.


Chili was mine and all was right in the world. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment