Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mexi Mix

College football starts this weekend (GO DAWGS!) so this seemed like a good week to make this and share with you my favorite thing I've ever created.  I believe Jason gets the credit for naming it Mexi Mix and it's one of his most favorite things I make.  It would be perfect to serve at a tailgate or football party and I'm really kind of proud of this concoction!

I love, love, love Mexican food so I've made numerous Mexican casseroles in search of the perfect one.  However, it seemed like it was always missing something or had something I didn't quite like.  Normally it was crushed up chips of some sort or mushy tortillas.  No mush allowed!  So I got to thinkin'...  I love burrito bowls, so what if I just mixed up all of the ingredients I like in a burrito and served it alongside chips?  So I hit the store and then the kitchen and the result was just magical.

What You Need:
-1 red (purple?) onion diced
-1 rotisserie chicken (aka chicken carcass) pulled off the bone
-1 pack of taco seasoning
-1 can of black beans
-1 can of corn
-1 can of (spicy) Rotel tomatoes
-1 can of cream of chicken soup
-1 package of cooked Spanish rice
-1 can of olives
-Cilantro
-2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
-Salsa
-Sour Cream
-Shredded lettuce
-Jalapenos
-Guacamole (I mix avocados with lime, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro, salt & pepper)
-Tortilla chips (or you could serve in tacos or burritos- I just eat mine like nachos!)

Here's what you do.  Saute your onion in a little EVOO.  Dump in your pulled chicken and the taco seasoning. Stir until combined.  It will look something like this:


Rinse your can of black beans and your can of corn and drain.  Add to the pot.  Next add your cream of chicken soup, your Rotel tomatoes, and about 1/4 c of salsa.  Stir in your cooked rice (I buy Mahatma and let it cook while I'm chopping and getting everything else going).  Lastly, I add about 1/3 of the bag of cheese and some fresh chopped cilantro.


Now all you have to do is pour it into your casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese and then I decorate mine with sliced black olives.  Into the oven it goes - 350 for 20 minutes or so until it's bubbly!


When you pull it out of the oven, you have magic Mexi Mix deliciousness! I added more cilantro for color.


Now you can build it up like nachos or put it in tortillas as a burrito filling.  Whatever you like, but it makes enough to both feed and please a crowd!  I personally scoop onto a plate and top with shredded lettuce, fresh chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and jalapenos.  Then I eat it with some chips and I get all full and happy.  I hope you make it this football season and love it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment