Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I love soup and chicken tortilla is one of my favorites.  I usually make Tyler Florence's version found here.  There are a few things I particularly love about it-- it's totally from scratch, you fry your own tortilla chips, and, since it takes forever and a day to make, you feel like you've really accomplished something once you get to sit down and eat it.

That being said, my mom recommended Rachel Ray's recipe.  I tend to avoid most things Rachel Ray, but it was a Thursday after work, I really wanted soup, and my mom *really* loved it.  It was seriously good!  A couple of things I love about this version-- it is so easy to make without making you feel dumb (the charred corn is an excellent ingredient) and I've now discovered chipotle in adobo peppers.  Where have you been all my life, sweet-smokey-spicy deliciousnesses!?!  It calls for 2, but they were so tiny I put about half the can.  Then I tasted them.... If you don't care for super spicy, just put the two.  Half the can was perfect for my spicy tastes.  The only other thing I did differently was that my grocery store did not have any blue corn chips.  Since I wasn't going to stir in 4 cups like she recommended anyway (holy calories, Batman), I just used a couple of regular tortilla chips as garnish with my cheese, sour cream, avocado, and cilantro (because those are all fat-free, right?!).  Super easy and super good.  Thanks, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment